Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Rest and Reflection

Hello fine followers!

Well I have been as lazy as a person could possible be today.  Today is Martin Luther King Jr day in the USA, and as a federal employee we get the day off.  I have literally just gotten out of my pjs (it is 3:30 pm) just to drive to get my small child from the ole grandparents (she had school today).  I have watched movies, done a little (very little) quilting, and laundry.  I have to say it has been great!

We had a big weekend.  Small child had another small child over, and if you have had a little girls sleep over before you are totally feeling me!  Really they were very good and played outside a lot (thank the good Lord)!  Then we decided to burn off our place.  Let me tell you if you ever want to meet all of your neighbors with in a 5-10 mile radius burn your place off!  Me and my sweety are Wildlife Biologists and we do this for a living.  I used to be a wildland firefighter and traveled all over putting fires out, and he is good at lighting fire for habitat restoration so we are perfect :)  We called in some help and lit it up!  We got a wonderful burn on about 105 ac of our property, and you would have thought the Apocalypse had come to our neighborhood!  We did alert the powers that be that you are supposed to alert when doing a prescribed or controlled burn so no emergency personnel had to waste their precious time with us, but the neighbors were concerned, and couldn't understand why we would do this on purpose.  Needless to say most of them tried to hire us to burn their place off by the end of it  lol!  We live in a very very rural area so not at all in the city or any type of subdivision so please don't take this as a burn off your back yard deal cause you may have some law or code against it, and we are professionals (I couldn't even type that with a straight face)!

It was a great time and family bonding as my father is a pyro and this made my mother feel better that he was somewhat supervised in this burning situation.  He had the best time ever!  The whole family said they had fun and I would say learned a thing or two about fire management and what it can be used for.  Also and most importantly how proper planning can be key to having a safe fire and burn.  These are lessons you can't teach someone, they have to see them in place and work to appreciate!  So we have other places to burn now lol!  Funny how that works.  We will help not something we want to do for business or anything.  We don't need that kind of pressure! I got a lovely shot of the sunset thru the smoke last night!
Cool huh?! 

Well I have another quilty project complete for my Valentine swap.  It is a cute little project and I was pretty excited how it turned out.  It is a cute little 9-patch I made from diary of a quilter  I pretty much followed it except I used two mini charm packs.  I used Moda Surrounded by Love fabric.  It is super cute.  Here it is!


It is a mini quilt to use how ever my partner would like.  I have tried it out as a center piece on my table and have to say it works nice :)!  

I hope all of you have had a wonderful day off or on whichever it is. 

 

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by!